Friday, April 15, 2011

Nubar Moon Shadow

AR Blac's pick. Who also happened to have bought this for me. Thankya, dear.

Moon Shadow is a medium purple/golden brown duochrome with darkened edges. Nubar knows how to do duochromes.





Three coats with topcoat. Application was very smooth. And at two coats I had full coverage, but for full depth of colour, three coats was best.

Random Story of the Moment: So up in Canada we have this huge donut and coffee chain called Tim Hortons. It's a bit culty up here because 1) it was started by a hockey player, 2) it's Canadian so we hold it dear to us. Tim Hortons was what I survived on during university. If I can remember correctly, there were three of them at school. I consumed copious amounts of their coffee (usually I drank a double double, which is a shortened form of double sugar, double cream or something called an Iced Capp which was really just syrup and cream) and baked goods (lots of bagels and cream cheese and chicken salad sandwiches). The amount I consumed was disgusting and I gained so much weight. I also think I may have overdosed on it because I rarely have it now.



But onto my story. Some time during my university career there was sudden talk of a coffee called a Gretzky. Nine cream. Nine sugar. For those not familiar with hockey, 99 was the number Wayne Gretzky wore. So of course, I had to try this. Now that I think back on it, I'm pretty sure my decision making ability was completely impaired by lack of sleep.

Oh was the Gretzky ever awful. I remember when I ordered it, they had no idea what it was, so I had to tell them. And then when they finished making it, the girl asked me if I wanted her to put it in the microwave to warm it. I was like why would you need it nuked, isn't the coffee warm? Turns out the majority of it was cold cream and sugar. Oh my goodness, it was like a cup of cream and sugar with coffee as a very minor flavouring. The first sip actually wasn't too bad because it was like very sweet cream, but each sip after got worse and worse. Especially since a lot of the sugar didn't dissolve so ended up on the bottom of the cup. It's one of those things that I look back on and I just wonder why.

20 comments:

  1. I have many reactions to this post. First of all, pretty polish. I just picked out a Nubar to send to you because I'm starting to make a pile, yay! Second of all, I had no idea that Tim Hortons was a Canadian thing. It's a big deal in Columbus, which is two hours south of me, but there are none up in Cleveland. I loved that story. You know me and coffee. Lastly, re: hockey. The director of the museum came to talk to my class on Wednesday before our presentations and he came down from Quebec (I think) last September. Before he talked with us I Googled him, like any normal twenty-something of the twenty-first century, and like three of the articles I found mentioned that he wanted to find somewhere to play hockey here. So when he said, "Any questions?" and everyone else seemed too intimidated to ask him anything I said, "Did you find somewhere to play hockey?"

    These are my social graces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bahaha, Steph, you are teh awesomes.

      Delete
  2. I am being followed by a mooooon shadow... Moooon shadow moon shadow~

    Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a pretty color!

    I'm not a coffee drinker but I do like sugar, so The Gretzky sounds like something I might try. Once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, one sip was more than enough for me.

      Delete
  4. Moon Shadow is simply amazing. Nubar sure knows how to make a damn fine duochrome.

    I had to go to Tim Horton's when I visited Toronto because my mother made me. Now, I hate donuts and I only drink black coffee but my mom insisted I get coffee and a donut. She loves Tim Horton's. Me? Not so much. Might have begun with the crazy ass drivers who almost ran me over in their rush to get their fix before work. Could've been due to the side eye I got from the girl behind the counter when I ordered my coffee black too. Anyway, the coffee tasted like it was brewed through a dusty rag and donuts are just gross.
    But I could say I've been there and I made my mom happy. I just know I won't be going to Tim Horton's the next time I visit Canada. Also? I know now to wear a helmet if I'm walking on the sidewalk in Toronto. I thought Californians were bad drivers, sheesh!

    BTW, the Gretzky frightens me. However, Gretzky the man still remains my hero. Make of this what you will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Nubar sure knows how to make a fine duochrome. And I've been told Toronto drivers are bad. But I've never experienced it myself.

      Delete
  5. Tim Hortons is crap...Starbucks is crap...Second Cup is the way to go!

    PS Mighty Lambchop - bad drivers are everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I'm totally ok with just making a cup of coffee at home. I do find Starbucks coffee tastes burnt.

      Delete
  6. That is a beautiful polish. And I've always wanted to venture in to a Tim Horton's. One of these days I'll make it up north! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW that color is amazing! I think we have a Tim Horton's in Penn Station or something lol I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly don't know if it's just a big deal taste wise. Just a cultural thing here in Canada.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely GORGEOUS polish. And I have Canadian friends who practically worship at the altar of Tim Horton's. If I ever visit Canada I have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL @ The Gretzky!! As a canadian, I totally understood your post. There was a Tim's at my school too. And one in every hospital...and three in every mall. Honestly. Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish there was one closer to where I work now. All my life I've been so used to having one walking distance from where I am.

      Delete

Thanks a bundle for your comment. I'm a super bad replier, but I promise you, each comment is read and thoroughly enjoyed. And if you have a question, it will absolutely be answered in a timely manner.